Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Brain Injury Awareness Month


You're reading http://debacabhpclc10.blogspot.com/

March has been designated as Brain Injury Awareness Month, a critical time when the Brain Injury Association of America
and its partners strive to build public awareness and education by producing and distributing important education and pre-
vention tools. Only by raising public awareness of the "silent epidemic" of brain injury will we begin to see a decrease in the
alarming number of injuries sustained every year, an increase in the number of individuals practicing preventive behaviors
while at work or play, and a change in the public's attitude toward individuals with brain injury.
http://www.biausa.org

Traumatic brain injury is one of the leading causes of mood disturbances, including anger and depression. There are
two main causes of anger and depression following brain injury.
Reasons for Anger and Depression after TBI
Our emotions are located in the middle part of our brain, which is very primitive. This part of the brain governs your
emotional response. For example, if you are mad at someone, this part of your brain tells you to hit that person.
The part of your brain that helps you plan and control your behavior is located at the front of the brain. This part of the
brain works in tandem with the middle part of the brain. So if the middle part of the brain is telling you that the correct
emotional response is to hit someone, the front part of the brain tells you all the reasons why you shouldn’t.
If the front part of the brain—the part of the brain that governs behavior—is compromised, raw emotions will be more
prevalent.
Effects of Anger and Depression
It’s not uncommon for people with symptoms of mood disturbances to be avoided by family and friends. It’s important
that the survivor learn how to control his or her moods.
Treatment for Anger and Depression
Survivors with anger issues should learn to recognize when they are being irritated, and should take a 15-minute time-
out from the situation in order to allow the emotional system to calm down. Learning to recognize cues of anger is im-
perative in controlling anger. Survivors with depression should see their doctor, who will most likely suggest counseling,
prescription drugs, or a combination of both.
BrainandSpinalCord.org

Poem submissions from The Brain Injury Association of New Mexico’s Brain Injury Club House
I wish I should be able to be free more and see more freedom.
I would like and enjoy talking about God more and as often as I can.
Tait
What we all need to understand is we are here on barrowed time we do not get to diced when we get
to leave. So don’t blink because your here today but can be gone tomorrow. I wish I would be smart
and famous but unfittingly do to cretin circumstances I can’t read or write. I just wish I was able to do
reading writing and arithmetic. I’m lost in the love department. And I don’t know why I’m a pretty go
catch.
Xam
I wish that I could be
more of who I used to be.
I wish that I didn’t feel so alone,
whether I’m alone or not alone.
Tom
The life we live is the life we give.
The life is full of happiness when we do.
John
For more information about The Brain Injury Association of New Mexico's Brain Injury Club House con-
tact Alicia Sisneros at 292-7414
braininjurynm.org

No comments: